Saturday, March 13, 2010

Prayerful Consideration: Pt. 2, Your Kingdom Come, Your Will be Done

Your Kingdom Come- There will be a day when Christ returns and God's Kingdom will come to this Earth. Its going to be pretty freaking sweet, so why not pray for it to come sooner? I cannot begin to imagine all the great things that will come as a consequence of that, but it will be a pretty exciting event.

Your Will Be Done- This may be one of the hardest parts, at least for me. Sure, who can argue that God's will is not good? Its great. In fact, its the best. The very best. However, there is one distinct flaw to God's will: it isn't mine. I have some ideas for my life, and they seem pretty good to me. So do I really want God's will for my life, or just as much as it fits in MY plan. Saying, "Your will be done" means so much more than, "God, do the good things you have in mind." It means, "God I give up all my plans for yours. If ours happen to line up, that is cool, but if not, well I'm down with that too."

On Earth as it is in Heaven- God rules Heaven supremely. This part seems to reiterate the ideas from early. May Earth be like Heaven. May your kingdom be here. May you rule it supremely. May your will be done here.

I think though that it goes a bit further than this. In heaven all give praise and glory to God. "On Earth as it is in Heaven" is also a call for us to act as if we are in Heaven. It is a call for us to give all glory to God. Furthermore it is a cry for God to move in the hearts of all men so that they may praise him as well. It is asking that God save the world.


The hardest part of this whole section is that it call to give up ourselves for God's will. We know that it is good, and furthermore best, but it means giving all the power in our life to God. It seems like there is no better place to put our trust, but that still does not make it easy.

Perhaps an easier way to do this would be to pray, "God make my will reflect your own."


Cheers,
Nathan

Next time: "Give us this day our Daily Bread"

No comments:

Post a Comment